Thursday, October 9, 2008

USU vs BYU Part 2: Dear Aggies

Dear Aggies:
While I will always be a true-blooded Aggie who loves the spot where the sagebrush grows, I have to say that I have a hard time being happy with the state of our football team. Now, I grew up in a football house so I appreciate a good program like the one run by Notre Dame great Lou Holtz. What I have a hard time appreciating is that I attend a school that has now been touted to be, as ESPN so delicately put it, "the worst football program in the nation." SO, as I watched my beloved Aggies play last Friday night against BYU, I thought of a couple of things that you might want to think about for your next game:
1. Although you play in a refurbished stadium, it does not mean that your reputation for being really bad has changed. It just means that now we get to watch you with more beautiful surroundings. With better refreshments.
2. We, as your fans, will always be there to support you, although it makes others question our intelligence. For instance, you are really good at getting the "Aggie First Down", but as far as the other 3 downs that it takes to score, you kind of struggle. Maybe we could start with little goals, like concentrating on getting the ever-elusive Second Down. Maybe we need to have some bright lights in the end zone so that you know which way to run and how much effort it will take to get there. Until then, we, your fans, will continue to show our undying support by wearing things like this:
3. True, I have never been on a football field in full pads waiting for the quarterback to throw me a pass so I don't understand what kind of pressure that you must be under. I do know, however, that if I was the one catching the ball, I would want to have the opportunity to be wide open, standing there waiting for the ball to be thrown so that I could catch it and gain some yards. I am pretty sure that when the opportunity came and the quarterback threw the ball right at me that I would a) keep my eye on the ball and b) wait until I caught the ball to start running down the field. Because this happened a few times during the game, I am pretty sure that this may be something that the coach needs to go over in practice: catch ball then run.
4. Last but not least, I think that maybe we need to go over our colors. When on the field, look around at what color jersey you are wearing and then make sure that you only throw the ball to people that are wearing the same color that you are. And here is another tip to the quarterback: the reason that they always know where you are throwing the ball is that you need to be quick quick quick to throw because the other team can see where you are looking.
Ah, how I love you Aggies, but sometimes you make it tough to love you. I have faith that one day you will be a program that everyone will be proud of but until then, I will go to your games at least once a year and look cute with Shayna and Laura wearing our game shirts.

5 comments:

Jen-E said...

hahaha oh the poor aggies...Is anyone ever going to do something about the horrible program? Or are they just gonna sit back and watch the embarrassment?

Michele and Wyatt said...

I loved going to Aggie football games. Of course when I went there they did have a winning team. But ya gotta love them anyway. Go Aggies!

Jane said...

I want one of those t-shirts! Too cool. USU's money goes to basketball, don't ya know?? It just takes a little more gearing up to go to games where you know your team's going to lose....

Todd and Amyjoy said...

I can't wait for my Aggie husband to read this post. I was laughing right out loud!
In our family we have a confused household. I am first and foremost a BYU fan. True Blue BYU. Todd is a USU fan but doesn't tell anyone, and our whole family and everyone else in this city are Boise State fans. Todd has a family plan for season tickets to Boise State. He can't quite get enough! Have you heard about our Broncos? Pretty great team. Now they could give your Aggies some pointers! Go Boise State! and BYU! (and USU but just don't tell anyone. :)

Nikki said...

As a BYU football fan and an avid Aggies basketball fan...I still loved your posts. Love the game day shirt - hilarious! Poor Aggies - just need to start scheduling Mountain Crest and SkyView for some football competition. But hey - it is almost basketball season so GO AGGIES!!! Loved the post - made me laugh!