Thursday, October 30, 2008

Seriously? It is time to take action. Seriously...

So, it has been a while since I got riled up enough to do another Seriously post, but alas, now I am. There have been some things going on in the news and in the world around me lately that leads me to ask: Seriously?
1. I am very passionate about politics, especially right now when we are in the midst of two very important events in our history: the election of our new President and the Proposition 8 defining families in California. To my fellow Americans: We are very lucky to live in a country where we are able to vote and have a say in who leads our country. We are blessed to live in the land of the free because of our brave soldiers past, present, and future who have volunteered to fight for the freedoms that we enjoy every day. If you think that your vote doesn't count or that an issue does not effect you, it does. If Proposition 8 is defeated in California, mark my words, it will start a wildfire across the other states of this great nation and pretty soon our children will be taught in their schools that it is okay for the Prince to marry the Prince. Seriously. So, my plea to you is this: Educate yourself on the issues and vote what you feel is best for you and your family. Let me repeat. VOTE. It counts. It is a privilege. The future of our country is not decided by the registered voters. It is decided by the registered voters who vote. Seriously.
2. According to Proposition 8 that is on the ballot in California, to vote yes, you are voting yes to define marriage as "between a man and a woman..." and amending the Constitution of California so that the law will never change. You are not voting to have any rights taken away from anyone. If this Proposition is defeated, it will continue to be legal for anyone to marry anyone. It will become legal for any 2 consenting adults to marry anyone or anything. That's right, anything. It will also become mandatory that teachers are required to teach about same sex marriage in the schools. Grade schools. It will become illegal for a church (any church, not just the LDS church) to refuse anyone the right to adopt or get married in their church. This should be a scary thing to anyone who values the definition of a family. Like I said, if this gets defeated in California,I am positive that within the next 5 years it will be on the ballot of many other states with a lot of force behind it. Our Prophet and Priesthood leaders have asked us to take a stand against something that is attacking our morals. There have been many stories on the news that have interviewed "Faithful members of the Church" who state that they do not agree that the church is getting involved in this issue. All I have to say to these members is this: Maybe you should look up the definition of Faithful. Because I am pretty sure you have it wrong. Seriously.

3. On another completely different note: Halloween is coming! I love it. Seriously. I do not love, however, that some people think that Halloween=modesty free day. Just because you are wearing a costume does not mean it is okay to be scantily clad. Enough said. Seriously.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Amen Sister...Especially on the Halloween costumes. I went to my daughter's party at school and I was bowled over at what our 7 year olds are wearing at school I saw more skin than I wanted to, who are these parents who send their kids to school dressed like floozies. I am with you on the politics as well. I have heard so many people say that it will not affect the church. That just makes me mad, I hope we can all unite and make "Prop 8" a reality. Thanks Anne.

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Yeah, me too. I was in my son's kindergarten class yesterday and the 5 year old had a bikini top on. Seriously!
Amen to everything else you said.

Becky said...

COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!