Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Do you want veggies with that? Seriously? Seriously...

So, I realize that you do not have to go through an extensive amount of training to be able to work in the food service industry and that most of the employees at the Hub here at the beloved Taggart Center (where I work and spend an average of 40-50 hours a week)are some of our best who are on work study. But, I do ask that they go over one thing whilst in training: When you ask someone "How can I help you?" to stop for a second and listen for the answer. I had the following conversation with one of the attention-span-challenged-employees today and just had to share, because I am sure that you have all had a similar experience:
Cute Hub Employee: How can I help you?
Me: I would like a pork and veggie bowl please.
CHE: Ok, would you like veggies with that?
Me: Um, yes that would be great
CHE: Is it okay if you have one of these pre-made pork bowls?
Me: Sure, that would be great
CHE: Okay here you go (handing me the veggie-less pork bowl)
Me: Thanks, but can I get veggies with that?
CHE: Oh yeah, you wanted veggies with that?
Me: (wondering if maybe I have not been speaking English)Yes, that would be great.
CHE goes to the back with my bowl and then comes back up to the front empty-handed.
CHE: Would you like some help?
Me: Yes, that would be great. I would just like some veggies on that pork bowl that you just took in the back.
CHE: Oh, yeah, okay be right back.
Me: (to the girl standing behind me in line) When CHE comes back and says, "Hi how can I help you" she really doesn't mean it.
Girl behind me in line: Apparently!
CHE comes back with said pork bowl this time with veggies. Hooray!
CHE: Now did you want this to be the light option? (Now the light option is just taking some of the food out of the bowl and charging less)
Me: No, not really...
CHE: Okay, good, because we already made it and it is not the light option. You did know that veggies cost extra
Me: You mean it costs extra to actually have veggies in the pork and veggie bowl?
CHE: Yeah
Me: (Thinking that I will just explain to the check-out girl who is one of my friends that I just have the pork and veggie bowl, nothing more, nothing less)
Okay, I'll take it now, Thanks!
CHE: Okay, thanks...is there anything else that I can help you with?
Me: (Thinking that I do not have any more time to waste on getting my food because my stomach is growling and I am starting to get a little shaky)
No Thanks! Have a good day!
CHE: (to the girl behind me who has witnessed the whole thing) Can I help You?
Girl Behind Me: (speaking very slowly) Yes, I would like a bowl of plain rice and some soy sauce.
CHE: Okay, would you like veggies with that?
Seriously? Seriously...

5 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Wow, and this is a college student? YIKES!!!

Jen-E said...

hahahahaha! I am pretty sure I could name a few girls that go to USU that could possibly be the CHE, thats hilarious!

Michele and Wyatt said...

Hey, don't be so hard on her. I used to be one of those cute Hub employees, a very long time ago. No wonder they loved me so much, I actually knew how to work.

Moweryfamily said...

Wow! that is sad. At least you were nice about it though most people wouldn't be that nice.

Anonymous said...

Wow... Really? Sad but true at Utah State. Oh my. And they are going to college student to be...? Thanks for sharing, Anne. I needed that kind of humor this afternoon. Beautiful!