Thursday, March 5, 2009

You Think I Would Learn...

I am sure that for most of you that are friends with me on Facebook, you know that I have been a little concussed as of late. So, I thought that I would share the story of a girl, her head, and a metal thing that did not feel like a pillow when being smacked into. So there I was minding my own business and doing my laundry at our apartment complex laundry room. I leaned down to get my towels out of the bottom dryer when this jumped out and smacked me in the head: All of a sudden, the room went dark and filled with stars and I decided to sit down really fast. Don't you worry, though, I recovered quickly and only a few tears were streaming down my cheeks when I got the rest of my clothes and went home. I just had a little bit of a knot on my head, so I put a bag of frozen popcorn kernals on my head and took some good painkillers and went to bed. The next day I was a little bit dizzy, but my pupils were the right size and the knot on my head was considerably smaller. Fast forward a couple of days with a headache and a couple of dizzy spells, and you will find me at the Doctor's office. After a stern lecture about when to go to the doctor (apparently, most people go right to the doctor when they hurt themselves-weird)and a diagnosis of "Mild" concussion, I was allowed to leave. I use the term "Mild" lightly because the headaches accompanying said concussion were not mild by any means. Anyways, long story short, I gave myself a mild concussion whilst doing my laundry and now I am much better. Luckily, this is concussion #4 in the history of my life and I know exactly how to handle them.
I do have to give props to my Dad, though, who heard the story and stayed very calm when commenting, "Wow-There is probably somebody out there who could make trendy, nice-looking, oh what are they called? Oh yeah-HELMETS!" Thanks Dad, apparently I should look into that, because who knows when the next sharp metal thing will jump out and smack me in the head?

4 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

4TH concussion?????

The only thing that has come close for me was when I leapt up, my
5'2" self and hit my head on the fire extinguisher. Remember? I sure do!

Glad you are feeling better!

Cinda said...

I guess you shouldn't do laundry anymore. It's harmful to your health.

I'm sorry it happened to you. I am glad you are feeling better.

Michele and Wyatt said...

ouch! I am totally remembering the same story as Amyjoy. When my husband suffered his 2nd concussion after wrecking on his motorcycle, the doctor told him, 3 strikes your out. Basically if you get another concussion you might want to consider giving up motorcycle riding. I'm not a doctor or anything, but with a 4th concussion, maybe laundry isn't for you. Take care of yourself.

Nikki said...

Hey - if it makes you feel any better the volleyball serve I took to the head 6 months ago turned into Post-Traumatic Concussion Syndrome, then to a severe case of Vertigo...I'd keep seeing your doctor if I were you! :)