Friday, February 27, 2009

Seriously? Seriously...

So there are two kinds of people in the life of a single girl like myself who like to ask the question, "So, are you dating anybody?" The first is the cool friend or acquaintance who responds to my answer with, "Wow, I do not understand why somebody like you has not been snatched up yet," or some other flattering response that makes me feel like I am not a total troll because they can't see why someone has not pledged their undying love. The second is the one who recoils in horror when I state my single status as if I have just revealed the tragic results of my biopsy. Lucky for me, I ran into such a person this week who made me ask, "Seriously? Seriously,"and for the sake of this story I will change her name to Mandy:

So there I was minding my own business as I walked down the hall of the Taggart Student Center when I spotted Mandy and her Husband coming towards me. Now I have known Mandy for a while and have never really been friends with her, but since I am not a jerk, I think she believes we are closer than we really are:
Mandy: Oh hi Anne! Long time no see-how are you? (I also forgot to mention that she is one of those that talks to everyone as if they are 5 years old)
Anne: I am doing great! How are you guys?
Mandy: Well, we are so happy-we are expecting a baby! Are you dating anyone?
Anne: I am not-when are you due?
Mandy: (putting her comforting hand on my arm)Oh no! Well, don't lose faith. One day you will find someone and then you can be happy too!
Anne: (this is where I am thinking, Seriously?) Great-well I will see you later.
Mandy: Oh okay-see you later and remember don't lose faith.

Seriously? Seriously...I know that maybe this Mandy girl is a bit of an extreme(but true)example-but unfortunately this is a real phenomena that happens to us single people. Here is what I have to say about that: I can be single and miserable or single and happy so I choose to be single and happy. I have had a book floating around in my head that is titled, "Making the Most of Your Singleness" which is what I am hoping all of my single friends are doing. Because I am making the most of my singleness and I am truly happy with my life. And I don't need any reminders to keep the faith. Seriously.

5 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

You go girl. You choose to be happy just as I choose to be happy.
We just all should find joy in the journey as Melody reminds us, whatever our circumstance.
It is so wise to live as you are- doing what is right- with a smile.

lots of love,
Amyjoy

Jen-E said...

OH GEEZ!!! Some people are so lame. Who says that? SERIOUSLY?!?

barlows said...

Okay. I had to laugh at that a little bit . . . I can't believe "Mandy" would say that BUT the arm grab/pat and the tone of voice would about put me over the edge. I think next time I would totally be snarky and saucy and say something back to her, that DEFINTELY would include the phrase, "keep the faith." Like, "Oh I haven't been up to much, just keepin' the faith that I'll get a killer job when I graduate" or "Oh, all that faith has really kept me going when I get so tired from hanging out with my good friends" or "ya know, I have been busy with church stuff . . . keepin' the faith and all." Seriously? A full life is a full life and it is not determined by a ring on your finger or some ya-hoo at your side that married you (even if you're the kind of gal that tells other people to "keep the faith.") - K. Sorry for the soapbox. Have a great Sunday . . .keep the faith ;)

Your best friend, Ashley said...

ummmm.... this just made me laugh for a bit until i realized it is a true story. it reminded me of another mandy we once knew...did you really change the name? :) (just kidding other mandy, if you know who you are and are reading this)

anyway- anne, you are great.

Kim said...

Hi Anne. Laughed out loud at this one.