Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bike vs Car...Seriously?

As I was driving the other day in a 45 MPH zone, I noticed that the lane I was in was slowing at a quicker than normal rate as approaching the upcoming intersection that had a green light. I was in the middle lane of a 3-lane road and I figured that someone was having car troubles or something, so I waited for an opening and switched lanes to go around the offending obstacle. Much to my surprise, the reason that we were all moving out of the lane that was going slower than normal was because there was a...wait for it...a biker.

SERIOUSLY?!?

Yep, a biker. In the middle of the lane. In the middle of the road. On a really busy street. From the looks of his very spandex laden outfit and matching helmet he was an experienced biker. Maybe I missed something-car vs. bike. The car always wins, right? This is not the first time, nor I'm sure, will it be the last time that traffic has been hindered by one of these bikers that considers themselves entitled to be riding in the middle of the road. And it drives (pardon the pun) me crazy!! I cannot stand that I have to get out of the way of some biker who is in the middle of the road hindering traffic. I am not sure what the bikers ediquette is on this subject, but I don't really care. There may be laws that say that bikers can ride on the road and I am the only person who does not know that it is okay for a biker to ride 20 MPH in a 45 MPH zone obstructing traffic. I don't care. I am a normally pretty even-keeled person who doesn't get irritated very easily, but here in Pleasanton it seems that the bikers can and do rule the road and it bugs me. I am sure that they should get extra points for doing their part to reduce their carbon footprint on the environment or blah blah blah. I don't care.
My gripe today is this: I do not drive the Jeep in the bike lane, so please do not ride your bike in the Jeep lane. Seriously.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

UGH, I hate bicyclists! When I ride my bike I stay as far out of the road as possible, if not on the sidewalk!

Cinda said...

Amen!