Wednesday, October 27, 2010

1 Year in Cali: What I Know Now

It just occurred to me that last year at this time I was packing up the Jeep and making the long trek to California. So, what have I learned about myself since I packed up my life and made a, well, life-changing move? Here is just a bit of the wisdom I have accrued about the wonder that is AnneBarlow:

1-I love to read. Turns out there are way more interesting things to read than text books. I have a well-used library card and have decided that I like to read mysteries the most. I always think that I am smarter than the average reader when I can figure out who did it.

2-I have really enjoyed not working full time. Do not take this the wrong way. It is not that I do not want to work full time and have a job and a career and all the benefits that come with that. I am not lazy at all. I actually get a little anxious that I have not been able to find a job yet because I think that I have a lot to offer as an employee, but apparently the right thing has not come along yet. I just have to keep doing my part and look hard and take advantage of all the opportunities that are around me. Until I get that job, though, I have been able to spend the last year doing random part time things which have allowed me the time to do things like service and learning new skills.

3-I am a very blessed girl. I have had the opportunity to live rent free which has allowed me to not worry so much about money for the first time in my adult life. I realize that this is a huge blessing. I kind of feel guilty that I have been rent free so I try to contribute in other ways as much as I can.

4-I love love love being in a family ward. I have 2 callings-Activities Committee Chair and Primary Teacher. I get to teach the 8-year-olds and I absolutely love them. I look forward to going to church every week because I get to be with them. And learn from them. I also love all of the people in the ward. There is such a diverse population that makes up the dynamics and I thoroughly enjoy the differences we all bring to the table. It is fun to try and plan activities to meet the needs of everyone.

5-I love whipped cream. It just makes me happy every time I eat it and I take the opportunity to eat it on everything I can. Within reason that is. I would probably eat it more if I wasn't so worried about there becoming too much of me to love. If only a serving of whipped cream would count as a serving of vegetables...

I have learned a lot more than this, but right now I am watching the Giants play stellar baseball in Game 1 of the World Series and loving it so I will have to add more later:)

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Wow, I can't believe it has been a year! So happy to have met you!!! :-)