Saturday, October 17, 2009

What I Have Learned from Logan

When I look back at the history of my life in Logan, I will definitely think of the many lessons that I learned here with fondness. So, here is a list of the things that I have learned that will go into the life skills resume:

1. I love the mountains. I never really knew how much before. I have hiked them, camped in them, had numerous bonfires in them, skiied them, sled on them, driven through them when they were fiery colors and when they were so icy and snowy it was scary-all in the name of love. I will miss having the majestic views of the mountains every time I leave the house.
2. I heart Utah State. It has been a great school to attend and to be employed at. I have seen it from the side of a student and an employee and although we will never claim to be "The Lord's School" like a school south of us that shall remain nameless, I truly believe that USU is an inspired place. Apparently I am now a true-blooded Aggie who loves the spot where the sagebrush grows...
3. I have learned many life skills here in Logan. But maybe the best of all skills that I will be able to take into my daily life is a foreign language: REDNECK. That's right. I am fluent in redneck. After spending a few years working at a fence company, I am now able to speak and understand what it means when someone says that they "usedta could" do something or the appropriate use of "getter done". I understand the value of hunting and what a big buck contest is and to always say no when one of the hunters comes back from a week in the woods and offers a dried mystery meat in an unmarked plastic bag. I also know the difference between regular wranglers and sunday wranglers. Now, how to put that on a resume...

4. I have made many friends that I will always consider family. I know what it means to have people around that will come running in the middle of the night if I need them and for this I will always be greatful.

5. No matter how long I have lived in Utah, I can proudly say that the words "Oh my heck" have never become part of my vocabulary. Never.

6. I have learned that no matter what the weather is anywhere else in the state, the canyon has the potential to be a wild ride any time of the year. I have learned that I am able to survive rain, sleet, snow, or hail-sometimes all in one drive...

7. I have learned that having sisters around me is one of my favorite things! No matter what we are doing, whether it is cooking dinner, attending a double feature, or just hanging out-we have a blast. Here we are at Maddox this past Friday taking a picture in front of a random statue:I am sure that there are many more things that I have learned here in Logan, but these are by far the top of the list....

4 comments:

Jen and Ryan said...

EAT BEEF!

Cinda said...

Logan will never be the same without their beloved Anne of Green Barlows. Enjoy your next phase in life!

Becky said...

I can see I need to read further to find out what is happening in your life and what would ever cause you to leave Logan.
I love your tribute to Logan though. It was sincere and funny - a combination you have a talent for. :)

Unknown said...

Anne I'm sad you won't be close. Even though it has been a very long time since we've gotten together. Good luck with your move. Love your guts