Saturday, January 30, 2016

Resolutions Shmesolutions

As a follow up to my resolution from 2 years ago-wait...was it 3?!?-to start keeping up on my blog more, I have just updated my blog and changed a bunch of stuff if you want to take a look. It is not that I do not think of things to write. I do. Constantly. I am actually usually thinking that I should have a camera follow me around at all times because things are happening to me that are much more interesting than most of the reality TV that is out there. Although it does not happen as beautifully lit or after my make-up has been perfected. Usually I find that the most interesting things happen when I am not paying attention to the minor details like a shower. Or bothering to match my clothes. In fact, most of the time I feel like I get dressed like a 5-year-old and wear whatever is closest and mostly fits. Anyways, I am a goal-oriented person and I feel like I have been awesome at setting goals and accomplishing what I want in certain areas of my life, like my career or my relationships with my family, for example but have neglected a lot of areas of my life that would help me to be more BALANCED. And, although I am not a firm believer that guilt is a productive feeling, I feel guilty about this most of the time. We are always the hardest on ourselves and this is definitely true with me. I find that I hold myself to a much higher standard than anyone else would dream of doing and then I beat myself up about it. If anyone else were to say the things to me that I say to myself, I would most definitely punch them in the face. But, enough about that.
What I really want to put out there into the blogosphere so that I can keep myself in check is that I am setting some serious goals for myself and this is going to be my year. I actually have my year start on my birthday of August 19th and end on the next August 19th and have started out with some pretty awesome experiences so far that I may share at a later date. But for now, I am going to start with my goal #1:
BE MORE OPEN
Open to new experiences, open to people, open to learning, open to expanding my horizons, open to listening, open to serving, basically just open. Where better to start than by blogging? I have always loved it. Blogging has been cathartic for me at times and sharing the hilarity that is my life sometimes has brought me joy. So I am doing it. Blogging again.
My Inspiration: When we were in Relief Society last week, one of the sisters asked a question about what we would do if there is someone among us who lets us know that they are not feeling welcome or loved. There were many answers and experiences shared as to what we should do to help others, but the question crossed my mind, "Who here HASN'T had a time where they were not feeling welcome or loved?" In having a discussion with some friends a few days later, I related the experience and the fact that I could not get that question off my mind. I just could not help but think that if we all remembered that everyone, no matter how strong and resilient they seem on the outside, EVERYONE has felt this way at one time or another. Everyone knows what it feels like to be in a room full of people and feel truly alone. It is only when we are open that we have the opportunity to share those things with others that we realize that we are all in the same boat. We can gain strength from each other. I find that with myself I keep a lot bottled inside and figure that I can take care of myself and handle everything on my own. Only by being more open in my life will I be able to grow and have opportunities that never would have presented themselves if I am not.
So there it is. Out in the open. I am going to be more open. I am going to be more open. I am going to be more open. Who knows where this will lead me, but all I know is that I am open to finding out...
Until next time.

No comments: